Nurses and healthcare professionals from across the country are choosing to provide care at Saint Francis because of the quality of life we enjoy in Cape Girardeau, the stability of the organization and progressive thinking of the leadership team.
High Quality Care
Delivering the highest-quality care is at the core of everything we do. Saint Francis Healthcare System is taking that focus to the next level – with an array of initiatives and clinical partnerships geared toward improving the patient experience – to stay the premier healthcare delivery network in our five-state region.
Our comprehensive quality initiatives include:
- A new Patient Tower featuring private patient rooms.
- Locked medication drawers to promote safer medication administration.
- The new Epic electronic medical records system for united provider communication to enhance individualized patient care.
- Recognition when departments achieve exceptional quality and patient safety results.
- An exclusive local affiliation with the Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute to improve the scope and delivery of patient safety and quality for the region.
- Ongoing relationships with skilled nursing facilities in the area to decrease hospital readmissions and improve the transition of patient care.
- Stroke Center accreditation by The Joint Commission, the nation’s leading accreditation organization committed to improving safety and quality in healthcare, with its stroke care Gold Seal of Approval.
- Our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) was recently awarded the 2016 Aim for Excellence Award from the Missouri Hospital Association (MHA). This award recognizes hospitals that demonstrate a successful quality improvement project that yields measurable results. Saint Francis was one of only three statewide winners in communities with a population of more than 50,000.
Saint Francis’ nurses are leading the way in quality, partnering with physicians throughout the various disciplines. Our nurses take the lead in owning quality initiatives — ultimately saving lives. Here at Saint Francis Healthcare System, you have the ability to truly make a difference in patient outcomes.
Additionally, Saint Francis nurses lead the Nursing Practice Council. This governing body is led by an MSN staff member, and serves as a leadership group within the organization for all nurses, ensuring high quality care for all patients.
Professional Advancement Program
Saint Francis Healthcare System is proud to offer a Professional Advancement Program for all nurses. This program promotes growth in the nursing field for those who continually seek to improve their nursing practice and patient outcomes.
Building on Excellence
After more than 42 months of planning, Saint Francis Medical Center opened its new $127 million patient tower on July 1, 2015. This expansion and renovation project, “Building on Excellence,” (BOE) began in November 2012.
The project added more than 234,000 square feet of new construction and 148,600 square feet of renovated space, as well as an underground parking garage, to the current footprint, bringing the Medical Center to more than 1 million square feet. As of its completion, the Building on Excellence initiative includes a new main entrance, a five-story Tower with 122 private patient rooms, expanded pain and wound clinics, gift shop and My Daddy’s Cheesecake; renovated and expanded area for Inpatient Rehabilitation Services; and the creation of a Women & Children’s Pavilion which includes an expanded Family BirthPlace and Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Centers of Excellence
Saint Francis offers elevated levels of care in several specialty areas for patients who otherwise would have to travel to larger markets.
- The Cancer Institute
- Heart Hospital (affiliated with Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute)
- Level III Emergency and Trauma Center
- Level III NICU
- Center for Digestive Diseases
- Neurosciences Institute
- Orthopedic Institute
- Weight Loss Solutions Comprehensive Center (certified by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Surgery Improvement Program)
Advances in Technology
Saint Francis makes it a priority to remain on the forefront of medical technology, investing approximately $15 million annually in new technology and replacement parts in addition to its major construction and remodeling projects. In July 2016, the System “went live” with Epic, a fully integrated electronic medical records system.
Our commitment to excellence focuses on securing the best in medical technology, information systems and communications platforms. This ensures our nurses and professionals have the tools and resources they need to excel in their practice, generate positive outcomes and make a difference in patients’ lives.